Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Things That I Love Part 3 (or is it 4?)


We're going back to Castleton On Hudson, this weekend, to dismantle our work from the exhibition Castleton 12. The show was gratefully written up in this blog http://joannemattera.blogspot.com/. The closing party is Saturday night.

The above photo is my son's contribution to the exhibition. He was gifted a box of these wonderful Hot Wheels band-aids enroute to this riverside town. He spent the entire installation weekend plastering them everywhere- all over his body, walls, doors, corners, windows, floors and columns. Above is one photo of his work, not labeled like the rest of our work in this renewed & reinvented old theatre.

Another capture of arrangement and play




  
"If you could see [him] through my eyes..."

I saw one of my all-time favorite movies, Caberet, for the 10 or 20th time. I first saw it as a child, 8 or 9 years old and I loved it then, though I didn't fully understand it. Last weekend, it was as brilliant as ever- even though it wasn't in color- the songs, the dancing, the filming, cutting, editing, the metaphors, even the sexuality -flowing subtly without PC banality. (It was 1972). I think it was Liza Minnelli's career apex, and I imagine Joel Grey's too. So I can add that film to my list of "Things That I Love...". And of course, most everything about my boy too. Not because he is my boy but simply because he is just evolving and unfolding as a person before my eyes. I am enjoying this witness so much and am so awed by his power, will, love, wonder and joy. It is like magic and I am amazed that I get to be part of the life and life process of this little miracle. 

When I am not in total terror of how I can be even a good parent- give, feed, say, react, express, share, respond and behave in even the remotely right ways- I'm biting my tongue about my husband's parenting. That poor guy has to withstand the so many times I didn't bite my tongue. Actually, the amount of difficulty and criticism I give him is paltry compared to the voices of self-criticism and fear I am only beginning to wean from. Today, I am actively trying to improve every aspect of my parenting, my relational, personal, emotional, spiritual life and the influences those lives have on my family. my life and the environment around me. 

1 comment: