Tuesday, March 15, 2011

new perspective

I just talked to a friend, I have a new perspective- so obvious but I'm trying it out...

this is a place for me to speak, share, communicate, not just share what is inside my head and my tenuousness and discomfort sharing my life challenges (and how I work through them), the path I am moving through... that too but to share my immediate place, my surroundings, my day. Of course this simplicity- I want to share this VISUALLY but not all that easy even though it IS easy. But I can start with sharing it with words too.

Here we go-part one

On my way to work everyday (if I'm not in a rush), I walk through New York's dwindling flower district. The "district" is now compressed to one block between 6th and 7th Avenue on 28th Street. It is a kind of oasis. In the early morning, even in the cold winter, they have the sidewalk filled with plants, flowers, trees. They leave a very narrow path for pedestrians, between the flowers in front of their shops and the  "gardens" created, in descending size, from the curb to the path.

These are no ordinary flower shops- they are pack full with all kinds of wild, exotic plants, huge branches, flowering or bare. This is where all the event and exhibition designers shop at 5 in the morning.

I love to walk here, see the colors and smell the fresh plants alive and oozing oxygen. Often even the fragrance of the flowers waft in the path. This gives me a fresh beginning and a new perspective to go to work.

Though I have to say, I hate when people in front of me are smoking. I think there should be a law against it, tickets given, in this compressed garden space, the offense of smoke. Though I remember as a smoker the need to have it fill my lungs, after running or biking and especially in among the the fresh smells and extra oxygen of trees and plants.

This smoker offense happened to me today. I waited, lingered and let them pass way way in front of me instead of muttering under my breath and cursing them all the while.

I am learning to create my reality, choose my perspective, ever so slowly and only sometimes, but I am learning.

1 comment:

  1. Great story, would love it if you took some photos sometime! (for those of us who miss NYC so much)

    ReplyDelete