Saturday, March 19, 2011

Posting work in progress, questionable


Posting unfinished work, work in progress, both of those things are questionable. 
I've done it. 
Like many things, I am at an confessional stage- an expose of sorts.
Here we are blogging some very personal musings.

The works shown in the previous posting (earlier today) are small- 6" squares. I cut a bunch of museum board at that size and started doing some collage work. I pasted and redrew and painted and pasted some more. None finished or satisfying. The subjects are very didactic. Women- women working, earning, creating, even nursing while creating (and probably earning too). 

Then some of the other boards became part of another process. These drawings are created in rather indirect ways, using beet juice. I saved this cooking juice in my refridgerator for months, perhaps a year. Different jars from various cookings of this rather beautifully colored vegetable. The drawings themselves are almost sculptural as they soak up the juice in various dunkings and dry naturally warping and curling as they do.

In the first picture, I show a small group of collaged pieces checkered with the beet drawings. It is an idea. I'm not sure I like juxtaposing them. Here I am exposing a visual thought. Perhaps this takes me to another place...

Maybe that place is building the lower area of the wall with the beet drawings, like bricks or rocks, though not in a grid-ed format, leading into the "mother" collage. thread can link them. or not.

In any way I think of it I must continue to work on them individually.

Ultimately the excitement of this is that the wall is my canvas; to display them in their natural unframed form or individually framed. All this because they are going to be displayed in an exhibition at The Gateway Arts Center CDC, in Brentwood, MD (DC area) opening May 14th. I'll post these details later, closer to the date!

1 comment:

  1. It opens May 14th, Corridor Exhibition Space, Gateway Arts Center

    ReplyDelete