Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wonder-Filled Day (Part 2 of Things I Love Series)

Trying to find an easy way to add my photos from my different electronic sources. That perfection comes slowly, with practice and I don't practice (post) often enough yet. So for now no photos.

Today was a wonder-filled day. Actually, now it is "yesterday" as the clock strikes Twelve. But it was wonder-filled all the same.

1. It was my free day.

Free from both work and childcare. Not that I don't love spending time with my child, and I am learning to love my job but, it was my day to be free. I really enjoyed it, I got to spend my day worry-free and exactly as I wanted (with the option to worry if I wanted to do so). I didn't stay home and take care of bills, or hounding paperwork, or unfinished office work, or undone family business, or laundry, or housework, or researching on the computer, or looking and answering email. I just took the day off. I enjoyed the day. I went out. I met friends, I talked on the phone, I walked around, I window shopped without over-spending, deprivation or envy. I got such spiritual and emotional food from this day in sunshine, in the city.

2.
Collaborated on the creation of a Family Schedule.

The glorious-ness of the day started
by my completing, with my partner, a family schedule. Like a drawing model of the family life we both want. It may take some time to live in to this schedule but it has added bonuses such as one hour a day of 'Sheila time' (even though it is 6-7AM). It has an earlier bedtime for my son (we will work toward this). It includes 'Couple time', a slot for my husband and I to be together alone (even though it may sometimes be spent with each of us on our own electronic devises). And it has family time. This schedule is just a rough draft of the more refined and detailed one to come. Though, it may have taken 3+ years to get to this point -we are here now.

3.
It was Day 5 of my boy wearing underpants.

When he woke up on Sunday and out-of-the-blue stated "I want to wear underpants today", I was completely surprised and awed at how these things suddenly work (everyone has said it just happens one day). Previous, it has been huge bribery just to get him to sit on the potty. Not to mention, the emotional ruthlessness my mind has tortured me with calling myself shameful mother-inadequacy names- like "failure", "try-harder", "read more books" and hearing "he's still in diapers" and then the "why didn't I use cloth diapers". Well, we immediately went out and bought 2 new packs of 7 different Action-packed, overly licensed, superhero underpants. Every character imaginable in these packs from Wall-E to Spiderman, Buzz Lightyear to Captain America. A true Jackpot! This is possibly one of the only places where those kind of marketing ploys are truly valuable!

And here we are, still bribing him to sit on the potty, but mildly now. And on Day 3 he not only peed in the potty but pooped in the potty! A minor miracle! Accidents still happen but it is a world different! And as my dear friend Lynda says "It only takes a minute for a miracle to happen!"

All of those things together made my day a positive miracle in the making.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Pooping in the toilet is such a marker for young B. In honor of B, I am going to by some new underpants for myself today!

    Thanks B for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete